Medicines Optimisation – About us
Medicines are the most frequently used healthcare intervention in the NHS. The medicines optimisation team at Sunderland CCG (SCCG) aim to improve the quality of patient care, while decreasing medicines cost, resulting in overall optimised healthcare.
Medicines optimisation is an approach that looks to maximise the beneficial clinical outcomes for patients from medicines with an emphasis on safety, governance, professional collaboration and patient engagement.
The SCCG medicines optimisation team work with patients, GPs, community pharmacists and specialist nurses, to improve the health, wellbeing and life expectancy of the people of Sunderland. The team support the work of the CCG in commissioning services that involve medicines use and work with various healthcare providers to achieve the best possible outcomes for our patients.
The team provide support and advice to Sunderland GP practices on all aspects of medicines and prescribing including:
- Antibiotics and antimicrobial stewardship
- Optimising the treatment of long-term conditions such as COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) and diabetes
- Supporting complex medication regimes in vulnerable adults
- Reducing medicines waste.
Other responsibilities include:
- Assessment of medicines related patient safety incidents
- Monitoring of prescribing data and costs across Sunderland
- Participation in various committees including;
- Joint formulary (the committee who manage and maintain the list of medications that can be used in Sunderland)
- Medicines optimisation
- Assisting in the development and implementation of;
- Clinical guidelines
- Shared care guidelines
- Patient group directions
- A joint formulary across primary and secondary care in Sunderland
- Working closely with community pharmacies
- Working closely with secondary care colleagues
Any queries relating to medicines optimisation can be directed to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Any pharmaceutical representatives, please complete this request form and return to the above email address.