AEC is a way of managing a significant proportion of emergency patients on the same day, without admission to a hospital bed. It is a transformational change in care delivery and has the potential to be as significant to emergency care as day case surgery is to elective care. The following short video provides a useful overview:
The problems in Sunderland are….
- Nationally and locally, EDs are experiencing overcrowding and increasing waits
- Hospital becoming grid locked
- Unnecessary admissions/referrals into hospital
- Variability in practice
- Under utilisation of community resources
Our solution to date is….
- Develop a whole system approach to AEC in Sunderland to initiate change
- Improve patient flow with the use of AEC
- Clinically change the way clinicians work and think
- Move from a traditional approach to admitting emergency patients to hospital thus providing a more holistic model of care
- A whole system work programmeto test different ways of working – challenging the norms
- Strong clinical leadership from all areas of practice to work together to initiate and drive change
Benefits/outcomes will be….
- Reduction in hospital admissions and patients length of stay
- Increased staff and patient satisfaction
- Patients will be treated in the right place first time, reducing waste in the system
- Delivery of a safe, cost effective AEC service which patients will love!
Sunderland AEC Process Map to help identify areas of improvement: