Sunderland CCG is a statutory member of the Sunderland Safeguarding Adults Board (SSAB). The CCG safeguarding team, led by the Director of Nursing, Quality and Safety, ensures that the CCG fulfils its statutory duties and responsibilities in relation to Safeguarding Adults in Sunderland. The team have a key role in leading and developing Safeguarding practice across health services in Sunderland and providing assurance to both the CCG and NHS England that Safeguarding responsibilities are being met. The Head of Safeguarding and Designated Nurse Safeguarding Adults provide strategic leadership and expertise on behalf of the CCG to the health economy and the statutory Safeguarding Board. The Designated Nurse Safeguarding Adults, fulfils the statutory role of Designated Adult Safeguarding Manager (DASM) on behalf of the CCG. The CCG also provides a Named GP for Safeguarding Adults who provides operational expertise and support to their colleagues in primary care.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Providing expert advice and guidance to clinical colleagues in relation to the management of individual safeguarding concerns.
- Providing health expertise on safeguarding issues to multi-agency partners.
- Developing and facilitating specialist safeguarding training.
- Ensuring the CCG has policies and procedures in line with the multi-agency procedural frameworks.
- Ensuring the CCG and Commissioned health care providers discharge their responsibilities in relation to statutory reviews including; Safeguarding Adult Reviews and Domestic Homicide Reviews.
- Leading the development of safeguarding processes in commissioned services in Sunderland to ensure statutory responsibilities for safeguarding adults are met.
- Lead and develop the implementation of performance frameworks and processes across the health economy to provide assurance; working with both Health and Local Authority (LA) Commissioners.
- Lead and develop multi agency working to ensure robust and effective safeguarding processes are maintained and to ensure an appropriate health contribution to multi-agency working across the Health and Social Care economy.
- Represent the CCG and support the statutory Safeguarding Adults Board to undertake its statutory functions with the support of stakeholders and partners.
All updated policies will be available here.
All updated strategies will be available here.
- Sunderland Safeguarding Adults website
- Sunderland Safeguarding Adults Training
- The Forced Marriage Unit
- Mandatory Reporting of Female Genital Mutilation
- Within Sunderland e-learning training and multi-agency training is available via the SSCB:
- Prevent Duty Guidance
- Care and Support Act 2014 –statutory Guidance
- Mental Capacity Act 2005 A Guide for Clinical Commissioning Groups and other commissioners of healthcare services on Commissioning for Compliance
- Mental Capacity Act Code of Practice
- SCIE –Deprivation of Liberty DoLS at a Glance
- Deprivation of Liberty a Practical Guide – law Society
- Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) (2012)
- CQC Safeguarding People
- NMC Safeguarding resources
For Safeguarding adults staff contacts please click here.