Sunderland CCG is a statutory member of Sunderland Safeguarding Children’s Board (SSCB). The executive lead for the Sunderland CCG safeguarding team is the Director of Nursing, Quality and Safety who ensures that the CCG fulfils its statutory duties and responsibilities in relation to safeguarding children.
The safeguarding children team has a key role in leading and developing safeguarding practice across the health economy in Sunderland providing assurance to both the CCG and NHS England that safeguarding children responsibilities are being met.
The Head of Safeguarding and Designated Nurse for looked After Children (LAC) provide strategic leadership and expertise on behalf of the CCG to the health economy in Sunderland and Safeguarding Children’s Board. The CCG also provides a Named GP for Safeguarding Children who provides operational expertise and support to their colleagues in primary care.
Key responsibilities include:
- Provide expert advice and guidance to clinical colleagues in relation to the management of individual safeguarding concerns.
- Providing health expertise on safeguarding issues to multi-agency partners.
- Develop, deliver and facilitate safeguarding children training.
- Ensuring the CCG has safeguarding children policies and procedures in line with the multi-agency procedural frameworks.
- Ensuring the CCG and commissioned health care providers discharge their responsibilities in relation to safeguarding children serious case reviews.
- Leading the development of safeguarding processes in commissioned services in Sunderland to ensure statutory responsibilities for safeguarding children and LAC are met.
- Provide advice to the service planning and commissioning organisation and to the local authority, on questions of planning, strategy, commissioning and the audit of quality standards including ensuring appropriate performance indicators are in place in relation to health services for LAC.
- Work with all healthcare organisations to monitor performance of local health services for children and young people including LAC.
- Lead and develop multi agency working to ensure robust and effective safeguarding processes are maintained and to ensure an appropriate health contribution to multi-agency working across the Health and Social care economy.
Represent the CCG and support the statutory Safeguarding Children’s Board to undertake its statutory functions with the support of stakeholders and partners.
All updated policies will be available here.
All updated strategies will be available here.
- Child D Serious Case Review – Executive Summary
- Child X Serious Case Review – Executive Summary
- Chronology of Actions Taken in Serious Case Reviews of Baby A and Child C
- Core Assets Why questions report
- Serious Case Review Overview Report Baby A and Child C
- Serious Case Review Significant Incident Learning Process(SILP) Overview Report Baby L
- Baby N Serious Case Review 25.11.15
- Serious Case Review Overview Report Baby PENNY 25.11
- Sunderland Safeguarding Children website
- Sunderland safeguarding Children Learning and management system
- The Children Act 2004
- The Forced Marriage Unit
- Mandatory Reporting of Female Genital Mutilation
- Within Sunderland e-learning training and multi-agency training is available via the SSCB:
- Prevent Duty Guidance
- Care and Support Act 2014 –statutory Guidance
- Mental Capacity Act 2005 A Guide for Clinical Commissioning Groups and other commissioners of healthcare services on Commissioning for Compliance
- Mental Capacity Act Code of Practice
- SCIE –Deprivation of Liberty DoLS at a Glance
- Deprivation of Liberty a Practical Guide – law Society
- Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) (2012)
- CQC Safeguarding People
- NMC Safeguarding resources
For Safeguarding children staff contacts please click here.