The Safeguarding Team are part of the quality and safety team, led by the director of nursing, quality and safety to ensure that the CCG fulfils its statutory duties and responsibilities in relation to both safeguarding children (including Looked After Children) and adults in Sunderland.
The team has a key role in leading and developing safeguarding practice across health services in Sunderland and providing assurance to both the CCG and NHS England that safeguarding responsibilities are being met.
The designated professionals, both medical and nursing, are statutory posts and provide strategic leadership and expertise on behalf of the CCG to the health economy, the statutory safeguarding boards and the community safety partnership. The named GPs provide operational expertise and support to their colleagues in primary care.
Safeguarding key responsibilities:
- Providing expert advice and guidance to clinical colleagues in relation to the management of individual safeguarding concerns.
- Providing health expertise on safeguarding issues to multi-agency partners
- Ensuring the needs of Looked After Children are met
- Leading the Child Death Review Process
- Developing and facilitating specialist safeguarding training.
- Ensuring the CCG has policies and procedures in line with the multi-agency procedural frameworks.
- Ensuring the CCG and commissioned health care providers discharge their responsibilities in relation to statutory reviews including Serious Case Reviews, Safeguarding Adult Reviews and Domestic Homicide Reviews.
- Leading the development of safeguarding processes in commissioned services in Sunderland to ensure statutory responsibilities for safeguarding children and adults are met.
- Lead and develop the implementation of performance frameworks and processes across the health economy to provide assurance; working with both Health and Local Authority (LA) Commissioners.
- Lead and develop multi agency working to ensure robust and effective safeguarding processes are maintained and to ensure an appropriate health contribution to multi-agency working across the Health and Social Care economy.
- Represent the CCG and support the statutory Safeguarding Boards for both Children and Adults to undertake their statutory functions with the support of stakeholders and partners.