Here in Sunderland, all the organisations that provide the city’s health and social care services work together in a very close partnership. We call this approach ‘All Together Better’.
Over recent weeks, we have been making changes to the way we work, to keep our services strong while we manage the situation.
So far this work has included:
• Making extra beds and support services available, both in and out of hospital, to support treatment of coronavirus patients
• Strengthening our health and social care workforce with extra staff, including local volunteer support
• Setting up local Covid-19 patient assessment services to support GP practices in assessing and treating potential coronavirus patients
• Arranging for GP practices to stay open on Good Friday (10 April) and Easter Monday (13 April)
• Providing extra support for health and social care workers to use video and phone for consultations with local care homes, residents and patients.
• All Sunderland practices have now moved to total telephone triage, online consultations and in some cases video consultations. Patients should not to go to their GP surgery for any reason unless you have spoken with your practice and they have told you a face-to-face appointment is needed